NEW YORK - Yahoo promised "not to screw it up" as it formally announced its acquisition of the popular Tumblr blogging platform for $1.1bn in cash, giving the company a much-needed base in social media to reach a younger generation of users. The relaxed wording of the memo for one of the internet giant's biggest acquisitions was echoed in the memo sent by David Karp, Tumblr's 26-year-old ...
WASHINGTON/ DUBLIN - Actavis Inc, the largest US generic drug maker by market value, is acquiring Dublin-based Warner Chilcott in a deal worth $8.5billion (5.6billion pounds) including $3billion net debt, to create the third-biggest specialty pharmaceutical company in the country. Under the deal, Actavis, which itself has been the subject of bid speculation, would be offering $5billion in ...
GENEVA - Canadian aeroplane maker Bombardier has expanded its leading Challenger family of business jets with the launch of the new Challenger 350 aircraft in collaboration with global leader in private aviation, US firm NetJets. The launch on Monday was held at a special event here at the European Business Aviation Conference and Exhibition (EBACE). Bombardier said deliveries of the ...
JOHANNESBURG - The National Energy Regulator of South Africa (Nersa) has granted power producer Eskom a licence for its Sere wind farm in the Western Cape, paving the way for the company to start construction of its $254.3 million (R2.4-billion) project. Sere is the Nama word for "cool breeze". The wind farm project is scheduled to become fully commercially operational by the end of ...
MUMBAI - The UK based Standard Chartered (StanChart) Monday announced plans to acquire the Indian private wealth management business of US multinational financial services firm Morgan Stanley for an undisclosed amount as part of plans to expand operations. The acquisition is subject to regulatory approvals. "Standard Chartered India has agreed to acquire Morgan Stanley's onshore private ...
79.6°F Mostly Cloudy
Far From Heaven
In the visually stunning and emotionally stirring Far From Heaven, writer/director Todd Haynes channels the resplendent 50s cinema of Douglas Sirk into a melodramatic masterpiece. Haynes, an innovative independent filmmaker who has worked on the fringes of Hollywood for the past decade, has truly found his voice here, using the visual motifs and thematic interests of one of the great Holly ... ...
Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
NEW YORK - Stock indexes fluctuated in midday trading Tuesday as investors tried to predict the Fed's next move. The Dow Jones industrial average rose 32 points to 15,366 shortly before 12 Eastern time. The Standard & Poor's 500 index edged up one point to 1,668. The Nasdaq composite rose three points to 3,499. "There's no compelling reason for the market to go one ...
NEW YORK - The price of oil fell Tuesday as investors waited for the Federal Reserve's latest views on the U.S. economy. Benchmark crude for June delivery was down 47 cents to $96.24 a barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. On Wednesday, Fed chairman Ben Bernanke will appear before Congress and the central bank will release minutes of its most recent policy ...
FILE - In this June 5, 2012 file photo, show attendees walk past Microsoft XBox booth at E3 2012 in Los Angeles. With the next Xbox expected to finally be revealed Tuesday, May 21, 2013, at Microsoft's headquarters in Redmond, Wash., anticipation for what the company is planning for the next iteration of its gaming console is higher than Master Chief's last spaceship. (AP Photo/Damian ...
Apple CEO Tim Cook (C), CFO Peter Oppenheimer (L) and Apple Head of tax operations Philip Bullock are sworn in to testify at a Senate investigations subcommittee on offshore profit shifting and the U.S. tax ...
Making the news
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Hilton Waikoloa Village Resort
Tropical gardens, salt water lagoons, exotic wildlife, two championship golf courses, a full service health spa, eight tennis courts, racquetball, ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Las Vegas HeraldLas Vegas Herald | Source for Las Vegas, U.S. & Global News
The Las Vegas Herald is essentially a local Las Vegas newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Las Vegas, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Las Vegas, Nevada, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Las Vegas Herald.
Justin Bieber surprised the young students of a Las Vegas primary school on Friday after he visited the place to declare that he had partnered up with Child Hunger Ends Here campaign.
The 19-year-old singer, who dropped by Whitney Elementary School ahead of his performance at Sunday's Billboard Music Awards, spent time giving food donations to the children as they shed tears of joy after meeting their idol, Contactmusic reported.
Bieber's trip was documented by the cameras of US breakfast show Today and in one clip, the artist can be seen consoling a star-struck girl, saying, "Don't cry, how are you? Give me a hug."
The singer also chatted with headmistress Sherrie Gahn, who has made it her job to provide disadvantaged students and their families with food and clothes throughout the year.
He also promised to fill the school's pantry with endless treats for the whole year, as part of his work with the charitable trust.
Gahn said that the singing sensation's visit meant a lot to the kids and they got to see that someone really important to them believed in them.
Bieber, who had a great time at the institution, thanked the school and Gahn for letting him visit, on Twitter.
"Thanks to Whitney Elementary and Sherrie for letting me come by again. ...
- Ignoring warnings North Korea continues to fire projectiles
- Actavis buying Warner Chilcott in $8.5bn deal
- New business jet Challenger 350 launched by Bombardier
- Moscow safer than New York Russian minister
- Shocking lawsuit claims NY high schools admissions policy racially biased
- Video Questions linger over military bases toxic legacy
- In Gaming Console Battle Microsoft and Sony Are Going Toe to Toe
- Emanuel Quinn snipe over regulating a Chicago casino
- Zach Sobiech Dead Teen Cancer Patient Left Behind a Legacy of Hope Courage and Music
- In Uganda fury over a generals letter reveals battle over the presidents political legacy
- Yahoo buys blogging platform Tumblr for $1.1 bn cash
- New business jet Challenger 350 launched by Bombardier
- Microsoft reveals Xbox One
- Energy Stocks Energy stocks stretch winning streak to second day
- The Logic Of Biologics - Is Regeneron The Next Roche
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- More hotels offering free breakfast
- Pegasus Solutions Reports that Global Corporate Bookings Set New Growth Record in April
- Lausanne Switzerlands Beau-Rivage Palace Completes First Phase of Major Renovation Unveiling 37 Newly Renovated Rooms and Suites
- 107 Room Hilton Garden Inn RochesterPittsford Opens
- Paris Hiltons beau shoves harassing female fan at Cannes
- Simon Cowell to be flanked by 3 female judges in new X Factor season
- IPL Spot-fixing TV star Vindu Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Maarty Broekman wants to work with Alesha Dixon
- Too much time indoors may damage kids eyes
- Uganda to Continue Leaked Letter Investigation Says Official
- Darius Rucker Making True Believers with Country Music
- May 21 News GOP Plans Keystone Approval Vote Tomorrow House Dems Clarify True Impact
- TrueFalse What move means for offseason
- Carol Burnett wins Mark Twain humour prize
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Las Vegas Herald headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Justin Bieber teams up with Child Hunger Ends Here campaign
- Police closing missing Utah womans case
- Attorneys appointed for two Las Vegas men jailed in iPad killing
- Clark County approves $1.2 billion 2014 budget
- Nevada freeway message signs used to urge driver caution